Saturdays at College

October 27, 2012 at 5:17 pm Leave a comment

There’s a certain time every Friday afternoon when I look around and suddenly realize that everyone is gone. 95% of the students here live off campus, and the remaining 5%… well, let’s just say that most of them seem to see little value in hanging around on weekends. Many go home, others work, and those of us who are left experience a very particular type of quiet.

Having very little to do, I spent the afternoon reading. At first I was in my dorm room, but when I returned after taking a walk, I found it stifling (I have no real control over the heating). So I left again. It’s a unique feeling to walk through hallways that are normally bustling with people and find them almost completely empty at 3:00 in the afternoon. I could almost have believed myself entirely alone. As I sat outside the library, the only occupant of a large area filled with comfortable chairs, I could hear nothing but the gentle whirring of the ventilation system.

Actually, it was quite relaxing. I got a lot of reading done– over a hundred pages. But it also had a certain strangeness, as though the world outside held a raging blizzard, permitting no one to stir from home, instead of a clear and sunny day in late October. Such are most Saturdays on campus.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Other. Tags: , .

Villette Reflections 1: Where’s the Plot? Villette Reflections 2: It Gets Better

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Trackback this post  |  Subscribe to the comments via RSS Feed


October 2012
S M T W T F S
« Sep   Nov »
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031  

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.


%d bloggers like this: