2012 Edition of the 1001
As I may have mentioned, the book that brings us the list of 1001 books you must read before you die has been updated a few times. The original edition was published in 2006, and since then there have been updated editions every two years. I’ve been reading the combined list, which basically means that any book that was listed in any edition is fair game. Recently, a 2012 edition of the list was published. Unfortunately, it wasn’t published in the United States (where I live) so it’s basically impossible for me to get a copy.
Fortunately, we have the internet. A very nice person on Goodreads put up a shelf containing the books that were added to the 2012 edition. The list includes:
- The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
- 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
- Nemesis by Philip Roth
- Cain by Jose Saramago
- A Gate at the Stairs by Lorrie Moore
- Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
- The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides
- A Visit from the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan
- There but for the by Ali Smith
- The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
- The History of Love by Nicole Krauss
So, since I read 1Q84 this summer, I’m adding it to my total. Since I would have read it anyway, it’s kind of like getting a freebie. How nice!